Cake Care Guide
Our cakes are lovingly handmade by our skilled team, and are therefore delicate by nature.
To ensure you enjoy your purchase in perfect condition, we have prepared the following information on how to carefully transport, store and serve your Devuyst Desserts cake.
Handling & Transportation
Carry your cakes carefully.
1. Bags and boxes should be held upright, steady and level to avoid decorations from falling off, or a cupcake from toppling over.
2. Try not to hold more than one bag in one hand as this will make the cakes tilt and slide.
3. Party cakes shouldn’t be stacked on top of each other, to avoid decorations getting squashed.
4. If transporting by car, please place cake boxes onto a level, non-slip surface and try to avoid bumpy roads to ensure the cake keeps its shape!
5. Long journeys can cause the icing to soften which can affect the cake’s look, and on this basis please try to avoid your purchase being left outside the fridge for more than 30 minutes (or about 15 minutes in warm weather)
Please ensure that you read the information carefully as we at Devuyst Desserts cannot be held liable for damaged items caused by incorrect handling and transportation, once the purchase has been handed over to the customer or an external courier company organised by the customer.
Decorations such as sugar flowers (if boxed separately) should be kept at room temperature and placed on the cake when it is ready to be served.
Serve & enjoy
For maximum flavour and a soft, moist texture we recommend consuming whole cakes from the fridge about 45 minutes after removing from the fridge, with cake slices cut 20 to 30 minutes after removing (subject to room temperature). If your cake sponge still feels hard, this means that it hasn’t reached normal room temperature, so just leave it out for a little longer prior to eating.
Cutting the cake
2. Layer cakes are best sliced with a large plain edged kitchen knife.
3. Cold buttercream or ganache can stick to a knife and make the cake crumble when slicing. To ensure neat, smooth slices, simply have a jug with hot water and a kitchen cloth at hand to dip and wipe the knife blade regularly between slices.
4 . To lift your slice off the cake board, use a cake slice lifter or palette knife.